Securing Florida Homes For the Summer
Checklist For Closing Winter Homes in Florida
If you are like most Snowbirds you need to close up your Florida Home for the Winter. Below are some tips and checklist so you won’t forget the things to do.
- Turn off the main water valve to your Unit or Residence. Be sure to turn off the circuit breaker to your hot-water heater. Upon Your return turn on both the hot water and cold water and let them run for a few minutes to get clean water into the pipes.
- It is a good idea to unplug expensive appliances such as your TV.
- Make sure your air conditioning (A/C) unit is in good operating condition. The filter should be changed prior to leaving for the summer. A clean air filter will operate more efficiently and save on electricity. Set your humidistat according to manufacturers directions. Common settings are 80 and 60, respectively. It is very important to keep your air conditioning running to reduce the chance of mold formation in your unit or residence. Air Conditioners take the moisture out of the air that produces the mold. Make sure the outside drain pipe for the air condition is open and operating properly. If no condensate water is dripping out there it is a good chance that condensate will build up in the drip pan. Make sure you do
not turn off the circuit breakers for the A/C.
- Pour 1/8 cup of lime or lemon juice and 1/4 cup of vegetable oil down the kitchen drain and run the garbage disposal for a couple of seconds without running the water. Then add a cup of vegetable oil.The acidity of the juice inhibits bacterial growth and the oil lubricates and helps keep down the rust.
- Clean out and empty the refrigerator while propping open the doors and leave the bin drawers open. Unplug the refrigerator and turn off the circuit breaker. This will save you money and prevent mold.
- Open dresser drawers and other furniture drawers to allow air circulation and prevent mold.
- Add 1/4 cup of Clorox Bleach to the toilet bowl and cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. This will prevent bacteria and mold from growing.
- Remove all items from the Patio or Backyard even if the room is enclosed with a screen. Hurricanes can turn these items into flying destructible objects.
- Place hurricane shutters on the windows
- Call the PSL police department for a property check and complete the form. The PSL police department will make regular wellness checks. Thier phone is: 772-871-5000
Have a safe and wonderful Summer! Maybe we Leaf Peepers will see you in the Fall!